Earlier this spring, we lost a female grosbeak to a deadly collision with one of our garage windows. :( I quickly put decals in the windows to avoid this mishap in the future. Did you know hundreds of birds die each year due to collisions with windows? A particular concern is in urban areas with tall glass buildings.
Here are a few tips for helping our feathered friends avoid deadly collisions with your windows:
- Place window decals 2-4 in apart
- Install external screens on windows
- Close blinds and curtains when possible
- Keep feeders 30 ft from windows
- Move houseplants away from windows
For a humorous video by The Audubon Society, visit this issue of my newsletter: Tuesday, Jul. 22, 2014 – Paula’s Garden Patch News